|Wax Week: Finding Focus
Sun-Thurs, October 13-17, 2019, 10 - 4 pm, $850 (SOLD OUT)
Advanced Level Class
Location: Portland, Oregon
This new 5-day Wax Week class is for experienced encaustic painters who want to work on a personal series or better prepare for showing and selling work. This class is perfect for artists who are already on the path to finding their voice but need some direction and encouragement from their peers. This is a rare opportunity to work with a group of like-minded artists who will help you leap ahead in presenting your vision to the world.
This differs from my other Wax Week workshops in two important ways. Of course I will be available to help you with any technical challenges, but this class won't be focused on technique. This is for encaustic painters who are relatively confident in their technical abilities and are excited to find more direction in their subject or message. If you are comfortable painting on your own and are inspired to hear gentle but honest reviews of your work then you are in the right place.
During our time together you'll get a clearer vision of how to work on multiples -- paintings that have a common thread. This can help you clarify your intentions for figuring out your next steps or help in preparing you to show your work. We'll discuss topics including:
This will be a semi-curated group of artists, selected to work well together as a group. You'll have plenty of work time and should be excited to participate in discussions, idea generation, and problem solving. We'll all work together to make a plan for the week, with short-term and long-term goals, and will have daily critiques/discussions as we move together through the week. This experience will give you a road map for how to continue a successful studio practice long after this class is over. I hope you'll join us!
- The value of working in a series
- What to consider when working larger
- Setting up a successful studio practice
- Choosing galleries/shows that further your goals
- How to photograph your work
- Different approaches to pricing
- Professionally finishing and framing your work
How To Register
To register please choose a payment option using the buttons below. You'll also need answer a few questions (below) to help me understand what you are interested in getting out of this workshop.
Please email your answers and images to me at email@example.com with the subject as Finding Focus Questions
1. Very briefly tell me about what would you might like to work on and why it is important to you (a few sentences are fine). Please include 2-3 images of your paintings that are closest to this vision.
2. If you plan use any materials other than encaustic paint to create your work, what are they? (ink, pigment sticks, shellac, etc.)
3. What are the most important things you want to get out of this workshop?
Most supplies painting will be provided including encaustic medium, encaustic paint, brushes, and basic encaustic tools. You will be asked to bring several panels of your choice, no larger than about 11 x 14. I'll send detailed information on these as well as a list of optional items upon registration. Space is limited to 6 artists and classes tend to fill very quickly.
If you have trouble registering online please contact me at (503) 348-9139 or waxx@ lindarobertsonarts.com. Classes must be paid for in full by cash, check or credit card prior to the start date of the class. When your payment is received you will be emailed a confirmation notice, additional information about the classes and a map to my studio in NE Portland.
Hotels and Transportation
Traveling to join us? If you're not from Portland, here's a list of hotels, transportation options and sightseeing.
Here's why you should come visit me in Portland!
Cancellation and Liability Policies
If the workshop is canceled by the instructor, you will receive a full refund. If another instructor must be substituted for Linda Robertson due to illness or emergency you will have the option to attend the class with the substitute instructor or cancel/reschedule without penalty.
- Cancellation at least 60 days before the class date = full refund minus $100 cancellation fee or you may change to another class.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before the class date = full refund minus a $150 cancellation fee only if the space is filled by another paying student.
- No show = no refund.
- By registering for this class you agree to assume all responsibility for non-refundable expenses including but not limited to travel and lodging. Travel insurance is encouraged.
Should any injuries occur during or as a result of participation in any class or workshop, the registered student agrees to indemnify
and hold harmless Linda Robertson and all employees, instructors and volunteers connected with Linda Robertson Arts.
Expand your ideas
Refine your personal process
Create within a community
Work out new ideas
Discuss professional development
Work in a series
Experiment with new processes
Set daily goals
Meet new friends